The house, standing in 3 1/2 acres, was originally built during the 19th century by a Mrs Bunbury and was later occupied by the Launceston Church of England High school for girls, founded in 1879, which ran for nine years, Colonel C. Byng and Mr F. Vowler. With the Vowler’s losing their two only sons during the First World War, on the death of Mr F. Vowler, the property passed into the hands of four nieces, who , when they heard the Legion were interested in it for the proposed scheme, most generously agreed to accept a figure very considerably below the fixed reserve price (£500 below market value). An appeal for funds was set up at a public meeting in the Town Hall. The club was officially formed at a meeting held on June 29th, 1945, where it was stated that at least £2,000 would be required by the end of the month to close the deal, and on top of that, there was a mortgage of £3,000 to also clear off. The British Legions Mr Keast said that they were hopeful of raising a considerable amount by the sale of gardens and the grounds around. Lt.-Col. W. R. Prout pointed out that they had already raised £1,000, and he was confident that they would raise the final £1,000 in time to close the deal. The house was duly purchased by the British Legion and converted into a social club for ex-servicemen. It was officially opened on Saturday, January 19th, 1946 by Lieutenant-Colonel E. H. W. Bolitho, D.S.O..
The British Legion continued to use the property as its Launceston base and social club for the next 50 years, but with the cost of maintenance and the fall in members, Edymead was sold off along with its grounds with the proceeds being used to later purchase the old Police Station at 4, Westgate Street (this was then refurbished and itself renamed Edymead). Edymead House itself was converted into residential flats with the grounds being developed also for residential living during 2004.