THE FAMILY LAWRENCE:
The name of this family is derived from LAUREA-ENSIS: – see Hals’ paper.
Many of the name have resided in the County of Cornwall and the West Registers of the Western Parishes of the Hundreds of Pydar and Pydar Returns bear the name in the reign of Henry VII and Henry VIII when the families’ servants were numerous. One branch appears to have settled in St Columb and Lamorran from whom are supposed to be descended the Lawrences of Trelissick in Feock. Another is Crantock, St Columb Minor and Cubert from whence spring the Lawrences of Launceston, and a third at Liskeard and Lanreath to whom the Lawrences of Liskeard owe their origin.
The Lawrences of Launceston are descended from the branch long settled in the neighbourhood of Crantock where lived John Lawrence in 1578 and of which parish his son, Peter, died vicar at an advanced age in 1620.
Arthur Lawrence (the son of Thomas Lawrence, living in 1653), was settled at Trenesach in Cubert and dying there in 1689, was buried in the chancel of Cubert Church (an inscription and memorial). He left three sons: Thomas (who held the vicarage of St Winnow from 1678 to 1720); Arthur, who died unmarried; and Humphrey, who married Jane, daughter and heiress (by the death of his brother in 1702). John Davies of Camess in Cubert, Gent., by Olive, daughter of G Hoblyn of Penhale Hall, in St Stephens by Brannel, Gent., and dying in 1699, left: 1 Jane, married John Bessey, of Fowey; 2 Arthur (of whom more hereafter); 3 John of St Columb, surgeon, married first Mary Waters, of Exeter, and secondly Gertrude Bond, daughter and co-heiress of Harry Bond, of Tresunger, Esquire, by whom he succeeded to the Estate of Carthew, in St Issey and there he resided after retiring from business. He had issue by his first wife – 1 John, died Curate of St Eval, leaving a daughter Mary, married to – Richards of Penzance; 2 William, of St Columb, surgeon – whose only son, John Lawrence died in 1826, an Attorney of Camelford, without issue; and 3 Mary, married to -Allan of Bosavene, in St Just.
Arthur, heir of Humphrey, settled at Launceston as an Attorney-at-Law, in 1718, and married Judith, daughter and co-heiress of Charles Bligh, gent., many times Mayor of that place and of Brockle in South Petherwin, and dying in 1750 left -1 Charles Thomas, who died a bachelor; 2 Humphrey, also an Attorney, of Launceston who married Charlotte, daughter and co-heiress of Charles Kendall, Esquire, LL.D., of Exeter and Landew, in Lezant (2 sons of Archdeacon Kendall by his wife Jane, daughter of Thomas Cann, of Harrowbear, and grand-daughter of Sir Alex Carew.) By Elizabeth, daughter and he-heiress of William Herle of Landew, Esquire, MP., for Launceston. He had three sons – Arthur, Charles and Humphrey; the two former dying unmarried in the lifetime of their father.
Humphrey, who became the heir on the death of his father in 1788, married first Harriett, youngest daughter of William Morshead, Esquire, (Sheriff of the County in 17), by Olympia, daughter and heiress of John Treise, of Lavethan, Esquire, and, secondly Elizabeth Pulton, daughter of Mr James Pulton, of Launceston. He, dying in 1811, left by his first wife Charlotte, married to Captain Parsons, RN., of Teighnmouth, Devonshire, and Northmore Herle, and by his second wife a son, Humphrey, since also deceased unmarried.
Northmore Herle married. in 1830, Maria, daughter of the late Henry Ryme Andrews, of Bodrean, Esquire.
Extracted from a Paper by Mr John Clarke, Launceston, by Jim Edwards.