Taken from the Kelly’s Post Office Directory of 1902.
LUFFINCOTT is a parish in the valley of the Tamar and on the western border of the county, 4 miles west from Ashwater station on the Launceston and Tresmeer branch of the London and South Western railway and 7 south from Holsworthy, in the Western division of the county, Black Torrington hundred, Holsworthy petty sessional division, union and county court district, and in the rural deanery of Holsworthy, archdeaconry of Barnstaple and diocese of Exeter. The church of St. James is a small and plain edifice of stone, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch and an embattled western tower, with pinnacles at the angles, containing 3 bells, of which the first is an alphabet bell from A to I ; the second bears an invocatory legend to the Virgin in Lombardic characters; the third is dated 1625: on the south side of the tower is a slate slab bearing an inscription recording the rebuilding of the tower in 1791: in the floor of the aisle is a stone to the memory of James, son of the Rev. Joseph Whitborne, a former rector, ob. 1701: the church was partially restored and reseated in 1893, when a new altar-table of carved oak was provided ; there are 70 sittings. The register of baptisms dates from the year 1659; marriages, 1653; burials 1664. The living is a rectory, net yearly income 65, with glebe, let at £30, and residence, in the gift of Frank Bradshaw esq. and held since 1895 by the Rev. Thomas Ward Brown M.A. of St. John’s College, Cambridge. Frank Bradshaw esq. J.P. of Lifton Park, Messrs. Joseph and Edmund Spettigue and Mrs. Richard Ford, of 17 Park street, Park lane, London W, who is lady of the manor, are the principal landowners. The soil is chiefly clay ; subsoil, clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley, oats and roots. Acreage, 1,477; rateable value, .540; the population in 1901 was 95. By Local Government Order 14,691, East Peake has been added to this parish from Tetcott, March 25, 1885, for civil purposes.
Letters through Holsworthy arrive at 9 a.m. Holsworthy is the nearest money order office & Ashwater railway station the nearest telegraph office, 4 miles distant This place is included in the United School Board district of Clawton, Luffincott & Tetcott, formed August 31, 1874. The children attend the school at the latter place.
Chubb Francis, farmer, Wordon
Congdon Thomas, farmer, Barton
Pooley James, farmer, East Peake
Skinner William, farmer, Yennon
Stidwell James, blacksmith