Wishworthy and Bulsworthy
WISHWORTHY: This property was originally rented from the Trelawney family about 1540 by Richard Brendon, and it remained in the Brendon family until about 1858 when it is understood the property was surrendered to the Church Commissioners. The original part of the house is understood to have been built in the early 16th Century. The old name of the house was ‘Wychford’, or ‘Wych(elm)ford’. For some reason, not yet discovered by the writer, after the Reformation, it was the practice to change the suffix ‘ford’ to ‘worthy’. There was a lime quarry on the Wishworthy Estate, which John Brendon, as the principal leaseholder, sold to ‘The Lords of the Manor’ in 1847. The second son of Edward of Carzantic, 1724 t0 1788, Edward Brendon, was given Wishworthy in 1774, when he married Elizabeth Langman, of Newton, Lawhitton. When Elizabeth died in 1825 her interest in the property was given to her widowed daughter-in-law Philippa Brendon, of Old Hill, Launceston, and her two eldest granddaughters, Elizabeth and Mary Ann, who married Swayne-Webb and Edward Cox, respectively.
In 1842, four acres of land, including the quarry were rented by Houghton Vivian (mine Captain/agent), and the 68-acre farm was rented by James Martin.
BULSWORTHY: The ‘Court Roll under the Farmers of this Manor’ states that Bulsworthy was the seat of John Coren, Esq. who in the reign of Queen Anne, 1702 to 1714, was in the Commission of the Peace, and Deputy-Surveyor of the Duchy of Cornwall. On John Corens’s death the estate passed to his widow, then part to his brother who was Captain of Foot in 1735: the remainder passed to Messrs. Francis Manaton, Esq., William Cloberry, Esq. and Edward Bennet, Esq. Charles Weeks leased the property in the early 1900s. The earliest known name for Bulsworthy is understood to be ‘Boltisford’ which the writer has been told means ‘Arrowford’. Here again ‘ford’ is changed to ‘worthy’.
Edward Brendon of Carzantic gave the 101 acres of Bulsworthy to his third son, George Brendon, 1758 to 1828, when he married Elizabeth Oliver of North Petherwin. Sometime after George’s death the farmhouse was damaged by fire, and his son moved to Rexton Cross, in Bratton Clovelly. The Church built a new farmhouse in the early 1860’.