George Mitchell Gifford was born at Mangotsfield, in Gloucestershire, in 1814, and came to Launceston in 1844. He married the eldest daughter of Mr Richard Rowe, of Great Haye, Lamerton, but his wife predeceased him by several years. Eight children were born of this marriage but only three survived – one son, Mr C. Gifford, C.B., and two daughters, one of whom married Captain Ching, Royal Navy. George was for several years Manager of the Tavistock Bank branch in Launceston (later Fox, Fowler & Co.). George was a founding member of the Launceston Voluntary Fire Brigade and served for many years as its Secretary.
He was a zealous Churchman, and he was the driving force in the handsome Trecarrel window in the South end of the Church of St Mary Magdalene, a silent witness of his interest in the building in which he was a regular worshipper. The cost of this window was defrayed by monies collected by him from persons who had been baptised in the Church. His high Christian character and kind and charitable disposition endeared him to all who knew him. George died on December 13th, 1895, at his residence, 2 Garfield Villas. He was buried Dec 15th, 1895.