Charles was born August 6th, 1843 to Charles Nations and Elizabeth Burt. His father was the innkeeper of the White Horse Inn and a saddler. On leaving school, Charles served his apprenticeship with Joe Geake, draper, who’s shop stood at the head of the town square now where the Santander Bank now resides. He subsequently travelled to London and took up a position with Messrs Marshall and Snelgrove, then he moved across to Windsor in 1869 to work for Messrs Griffin and Dawe. He returned to Cornwall to marry Bella Laura Pearson, daughter of Charles Pearson, of North Hill in 1873. They then set up home at 3, Park Terrace, New Windsor, Windsor where they had four daughters. With the retirement of Mr. Griffin from the business, Charles became a partner with the partnership now running as Messrs Burt and Dawe. Eventually Mr. Dawe also retired and in 1880 Charles became sole proprietor and ran the business on his own until he himself retired in 1904.
In October, 1891, Charles won at a bye-election a seat for the Castle ward on the Windsor Town Council, running as a Conservative. He remained on the council until his retirement in 1901. In December 1900, Charles was made a Justice of the Peace for the Borough of New Windsor. He was a strong churchman, and was a sidesman at the Windsor Parish Church where he also filled the roll of being one of the Church Charity Trustees. The whole family took a very keen interest in parochial and general church work. He was also one of the Hospital Committee. Being a staunch Conservative, Charles actively worked in the Parliamentary elections being a member of many election committee. He was one of the founder members of the Constitutional Club that was situated in High Street, Windsor.
He was also a keen horticulturist and loved to potter about in his garden at the families residence in Clarence Road, Windsor. In 1906 he became hon. Secretary of the Windsor and District Rose and Horticultural Society, which during his tenure greatly increased in success. He was know to correspond with rosarians all over the country, and to devise new schemes for the improvement of the show.
Charles died in 1909 and was interred at Windsor cemetery.