The Walk

 

The Walk. Photo courtesy of David Perry
The Walk. Photo courtesy of David Perry

The Walk was laid out by the Corporation (Town Council) in the early 19th century, and the churchyard (which in 1765 had been added to by purchase, and which was further enlarged in 1809) was cut in two by a path leading from Church Stile to the Higher Walk, and passing over the vaults of some of the oldest families in the town. In the beginning there was what was known as a theatre existing on the Walk, hut which was only used by amateurs for Christmas mummings. It was also used as an excercise yard for the French prisoners of war during the Napoleonic Wars. 

The Walk. Photo courtesy of David Perry
The Walk. Photo courtesy of David Perry

 

The Walk. Photo courtesy of David Perry
The Walk. Photo courtesy of David Perry

 

The Walk House
The Walk House which was demolished in the mid 1960’s to make way for the new Walk Car Park on Tower Street.

 

 

Hits: 5