George was born on June 19th, 1873 at 10, Westbridge Road, Launceston, to George and Mary Biddlecombe. His father, a native of Symondsbury, Dorset, was one of the first guards on the Great Western Railway when the line was extended to Launceston. On leaving school, George served his carpentry apprenticeship with Launceston builder William Burt before leaving to live in Canada on May 25th, 1892, only returning home on the death of his father in 1894. On his return, he started up in his own carpentry and undertaking business. He married Alice Sambell, daughter of Mr Cyrus Sambells, of Newchurches, in 1906, setting up home in Newport. Their son, George Mills Biddlecombe was born the following year on August 31st, and their second son, being born on June 19th, 1911. Both his sons followed into the family business. One of the jobs that George is remembered for is the construction of the first Ambrosia factory at Lifton in 1917 which he helped build alongside Lifton Down mason, Mr Rich. As the business grew, George took on being funeral directors, basing the business just behind St. Josephs School, on St. Stephens Hill.
George was probably one of the oldest continuous members of a church choir in Cornwall. He had been associated for a great number years with St. Stephen’s Church, where he had been chorister and churchwarden. Alice died in the June of 1927 with George surviving her by fifteen years, himself passing away on January 22nd, 1942. At the time of his death he was a member of the St. Stephen’s Advowson Charity Trustees. Although asked on several occasions to allow himself to be nominated to the Town Council he declined but consented to do so in 1940, and at the meeting, the Council on August 19th, 1940, was unanimously chosen to fill the vacancy created by the death, Mr E. Medland. He was also a long-time member of the Court Northumberland, Ancient Order of Foresters, Launceston.